Thus begins a new monthly feature, whereupon I offer you a smattering of writing prompts, using the Story Starter I stole from Chuck Wendig, or The Brainstormer app on my phone. Partly because Camp NaNoWriMo is coming up, and people sometimes panic and blank on coming up with an idea. (Even those who usually can’t keep up with all the plot bunnies breeding in their brains most of the time.)
But mostly because I have roughly fifty or sixty mosquito bites covering my hands and wrists right now, and I don’t feel like writing a real post. If you decide to craft a story using one of these prompts, feel free to drop a link in the comments. If I get enough interest, I’ll pimp the best one in August’s prompt post.
style, setting or subgenre + element to include + conflict or situation
- sword & sorcery + dragon + on the run
- cozy mystery + gladiators + divorce
- alternate history + geology + wrongly accused
- noir + robot + road trip
- weird tales + grave/funeral + fated to die
- detective + dinosaurs + ticking clock [This was actually the plot of Beastly Bones, now that I think of it.]
- ghost story + virus/parasite + love triangle
- faerie + submarine + self-preservation
- tropical + rifle + supernatural occurence
- urban + oasis + daring enterprise
- arctic + priest + enigma
- rusty + airplane/airship + reunion
So there you have it! If something here inspires you, go forth and write a story.