Things I learned this weekend:
1. If you are going to be carrying a ladder and several boxes of energy-efficient lightbulbs throughout a neighborhood while participating in a church project, drink lots of water, and take it slowly.
2. Even if you do drink lots of water and take it slowly, you will hurt like someone beat you the next day. If it’s really hot, you will feel like someone used your head for target practice with a nail gun.
3. Meeting new people will not, in fact, kill you.
4. When you meet new people, you may find that your life is less interesting than theirs. This is okay. You do not need to have the most interesting life in the room at all times.
5. You may think your life is more interesting, but they may not agree. This is also okay. It’s not a competition. Enjoy hearing their story.
6. Small children cannot “be quiet and settle down” for an entire four hour drive. They are not made that way.
7. Starbucks is good place for adults to get a drink, but an awful place to take small children to get a drink.
8. If you are hurting, sore and have a headache, learn when to say “Stick a fork in me, I’m done.” and check out on the rest of the day’s planned activities. This is probably at some point before duct-taping your child’s mouth shut begins to sound like a sane and reasonable idea.